Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:36:58 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 22/06/2015 12:52, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:54:02 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 22/06/2015 09:06, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well, I've never come across any rented property that has the very latest
fuse box/rcd. But that may just be coincidence. I do not go around checking
everyones houses I visit for rcds, only that a blind person can safely reach
the reset buttons!

Indeed - how would you cope with re-wireing a BS3036 style fuse?

I bet Brian could do that with no problem.
I bet you and I could do it blindfolded it we tried, I never have!

More than likely - but familiarity is the key (and knowing what you are
trying to achieve)

For an unskilled user attempting to identify the failed fuse, locate the
right rating of spare fuse wire, effecting the replacement and then
getting the fuse back into the CU - all in the dark, when you have never
even bother looking at the fuse box in the past, is quite a "big ask"!
Especially when compared to finding which MCB has tripped and flipping
the switch.

I've re spooled plenty of 35mm cassettes using a changing bag, and
loaded various film sizes into the spiral if a developing tank in
complete darkness.

Indeed, same here.

I always have a small pen knife in my pocket with a screwdriver that
would be adequate to rewire a wylex fuse as well. I suspect I am in the
minority though when it comes to preparedness for fuse re-wiring ;-)

Known as "Going equipped, in some circles ;-)

I'm not suggesting for a moment that a sighted person in the dark
equates to a blind person. That would indeed be arrogant.

I would expect a sighted person in the dark to perform substantially
less well than a blind one.

That was my intended inference.

--

Graham.