Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Cigarettes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
Two things trashed pubs in the country - clamping down on drink driving
and the smoking ban.

Rubbish, the smoking ban came too late to save pubs..
most family people stopped going to pubs because of the smoking and once
that happened it was too late to get them back.

You make it sound that smoking was something new. A far larger percentage
of people smoked within living memory than now. Oh - and smoked in the
same room or whatever as their kids.

If the pubs had taken note of the change they would have had no smoking
areas and survived.

A lot more to it than that. Smokers had stopped going to their local too.

It all started at least 30 years ago. Lots of people went out seeking
smoke free pubs and restaurants, the restaurants responded the pubs said
stuff you we serve our regulars. The rest is history.

I'd say there's a big difference between a traditional pub and a
restaurant. Not everyone wants to eat and drink at the same time.

Yes.

Or wants to pay the considerable extra to eat out.

Doesn’t explain why a lot more eat out now than
used to in the past. They just don’t do it in pubs
much anymore except for a few dinosaurs like Harry.

The reality for pubs is that a great raft of changes
in how we do things, everything from cracking
down on drink driving, to much cheaper grog
from supermarkets to much better food available
than in pubs to the ban on smoking and big
changes in how people get ****ed way from
home have ALL produced the demise of most pubs.