Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT Cigarettes

On 19/06/2015 14:05, GMM wrote:

I think it should be positively promoted in pubs[1]: The smoking ban
has been a significant factor in the high level of pub closures in
recent years. By promoting vaping, pubs could bring in custom to help
their viability and encourage people to quit the fags at the same time,
restoring a valued national institution and doing significant good for
public health.

[1] I'm sure it's already the case in some, but none that I've been in
around here

Pubs were closing at a high rate before the smoking ban. The rate of
closure did increase after the ban but this coincided with economic
crisis. Many 'pub companies' with hundreds of pubs were run as property
companies. The financial model was to borrow on the value of property in
the hope it would rise in value. The financial crisis meant that some of
these companies were seriously in debt and had to get shot of their
property. Pubs are often worth more as housing stock rather than being
a viable retail business.

The are are many other reason that pubs are closing including alcoholic
drink in supermarkets being a quarter to a third of the price of the
equivalent in a pub and/or stricter control on drink driving.

While the 'trade' may blame smoking as a cause I suggest that many
causes may be closer to home. Too many publicans seem to believe that
the public owe then a living rather than providing a service.

I still see very successfully busy pubs in areas where other pubs a few
hundred yards away are completely empty. I still see pubs opening and
attracting a 'traditional' trade. I still see successful publicans
taking over multiple failing pubs and turning them around.