Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Chance John Chance is offline

Default OT. Why we need to leave the EUSSR.

On 18/06/15 08:57, John Chance wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote

If we take our ball and go, how long before we are at war with an EU
country?

Forever. Neither Norway nor Switzerland has ever been at war with
a EU country and Britain will still be in NATO even if it leaves the EU.

I'm not saying the EU is in any way perfect, but I do feel that we
stand a better chance of affecting things for the better if we stay in.

Norway and Switzerland clearly feel otherwise and do well anyway.

To me the Currency union experiment has failed,

Doesnt explain why operations like the US work fine.

They don't work fine,

Common currency wise, they do. So does Britain.

and the USA is a federation, not a union:

Irrelevant to whether a common currency works fine, and for Britain.

individual states ahve oft5en more power to klegislate than a EU country.

Bull****.

If e.g. Missisippi could leave the dollar area it might not be the
backward ******** that it is.

Just as true of the dregs of Britain.

The problem with a single currency is that it more or less enforces a
single economic policy and that is not what you need when regions are in
very different economic states, have very different economic activities
and are in different parts of economic cycles.

Still works reasonably well in Britain.

and to some extent so have other unification initiatives,

Yes, there are some real downsides, particularly with the
more wealthy countries subsidising the poorer ones.

but at some level the system can and does work

Yes, in some ways it works a lot better no
EU, particularly on the free trade area alone.

so fight the beaurocracy and corruption certainly,

Easier said than done tho, particularly as the european
parliament doesnt even get to initiate legislation.

but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That is basically what Cameron is attempting, trying to monster
the EU into doing things better to get Britain to stay. It will be
interesting to see if he gets any concessions.

I don't think its possible:

It clearly did with Scotland and Britain, for the Scots.

For the EU to admit that 'ever closer unio9n' rather than 'federation'

That isn't what the EU is about.

is a bad way to go spells the de facto end of the EU anyway.

Odd that no country has chosen to leave.

And it would be incompatible with its structure. The EU is not a flexible
adaptable fedreartion - it is a rigid dirigiste organisation.

It will fail before it changes.

It has already changed a hell of a lot from where
it started and no country has chosen to leave.

Britain won't either, you watch.

"harry" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ean-Union.html