Max Christian

Default Waterseal vs. Masonry paint?

Lee Blaver wrote:
Just to follow up, I was reading the application notes on Dulux masonry
paint and it claims that painting parapet walls is "inadvisable".
Something about not being able to keep moisture out of the wall and
possible frost damage/spalling.

Thanks Lee, I knew there must be a reason why none of my neighbours have
done it!

For future reference, the relevant document is:
http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...sheets/420.pdf

"Painting of parapet, free standing and retaining walls below ground
level damp-proof course is inadvisable. In these situations, it may be
difficult to prevent moisture penetration and consequent failure of the
paint coating. Painting this type of wall may also increase the risk of
frost damage and spalling of the brickwork or stonework."