Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan Braggins Alan Braggins is offline

Default Drill all drills

In article , harry wrote:
On Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 1:46:44 AM UTC, geoff wrote:
In message , andrew
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reminds me of dropping molten lead into a bucket of water. Weird
spikey shapes.

I thought that was how they made perfectly round musket balls?

They would form and solidify during the long drop in air.

I've wondered about that in the past - surely they would be a bit "pear"
shaped from their passage through air

I have seen moulds to make musket balls. Two halves in a pair of "tongs".
Looked like they were intended for use on the (battle?) field after you'd raided the local church roof.

I think the "long drop in air" method is for smaller shot than musket balls:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower