Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default splicing Cat5E patch cable to an RJ45 socket

On 2015-06-11, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 22:15:02 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

If so, what is the colour-coding to use?

Stick to TIA 568B in most cases (unless your sockets are only

colour
coded for A). Most are marked with both colours, although B only

ones
are becoming more common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring

B is what I've been using.

Provided you stick with same both ends it doesn't matter the mapping
of pairs to pin numbers is the same for A or B. It's only the mapping
of colours to pins that changes and I'm pretty sure the electrons
don't care about insulation colour (Russ Andrews' universe excepted).

I suspected that, but I figure I'm better off being consistent.

A cable with A one end and B the other is a cross over cable
sometimes useful if you want to connect two bit's of kit that would
normally connect to a switch. Not often needed these days as the kit
can work out that the pair swap is needed and do it itself.

Right.