Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default something else for ukip supporters

On 10/06/15 10:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Adrian
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:02:52 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I hate the tories stance on university fees.

Trouble is, it's the only one that can possibly work in a country
where 40%+ of school-leavers are going to University. Back in the days
of fully-
paid fees and large enough grants to support a life of beer and
indolence, less than 10% went on to degree-level education.

6% in my day and the grant was nowhere near large enough to support a
life of beer and indolence. Cider, maybe.

I would be fully in favour of grants for students studying disciplines
deemed to be "in need" by the country at the top X universities.

You are right - you can't go funding media studies degrees at the
University of Mudchute. But given we seem to have a shortage of
engineers, medics and a number of other disciplines, I fail to see the
problem with doing the above. The unlucky universities would whine and
the not in demand subject depts would bitch like crazy - well, that's
just unlucky... They are no worse off, they continue as they do now.