Ratch

Default Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Ratch" wrote in message
Wait a minute, if L&M say that Ohm's law is V=IR (which it is not),

and
materials that obey Ohm's law are "ohmic", then by L&M's definition, all
materials are ohmic because the resistance formula V=IR is always

correct
for all materials. How is a material defined as "nonohmic"? Ratch

Ohm's law. Sounds to me like it applies when R represents an ohmic
material.
*duh*

The above statement does not answer my question.

And it still applies. Let's say we forward bias a diode. So, we put 20mA
on it and measure .7V. V=IR = .7 = .02R, divide by .02 and we find the
diode is 35 ohms. Of course, since it's a nearly constant voltage

whatever
the current flowing, the resistance drops as current rises, making it a
rather nonohmic component, and it's a more or less pointless calculation.
But it still applies: given the current doesn't change from those 20mA,
it could be replaced by a 35 ohm resistor and the same voltage drop is
produced.

All you have shown above is that the resistance formula V=IR is
correct. L&M says V=IR is Ohm's law (which it is not), and if all materials
obey what L&M calls Ohm's law (which they do), then the material is ohmic.
Therefore by that reason, ALL materials are ohmic (which they are not). Do
you see the inconsistency of what L&M is saying? Ratch