Asimov

Default 30-0-30 Transformer, home brew or buy

"Dave D" wrote to "All" (20 Jul 03 16:26:52)
--- on the topic of " 30-0-30 Transformer, home brew or buy"

DD From: "Dave D"

DD its you wrote in message
DD ...
And, just out of curiousity, how would one go about winding a
torroidal transformer?

DD Assuming you could obtain a toroidal mains transformer core (those
DD ferrite rings are not the same thing at all) you would have a nightmare
DD trying to wind it. They are factory wound using a long thin spool
DD holding the enamelled wire which is fed through the hole in the middle
DD of the toroid over and over to get the right number of turns. You'd
DD have to be a very determined hobbyist to build a toroid winder in the
DD home!
DD Unless, of course, someone knows another way of doing it...

Sure start with a transformer with a higher voltage rating than needed
and remove as many turns as required from the secondary. I've done this
a few times with big 1:1 transformers to bring them down to 50Vct. It's
solidly mounting the lead's that's the real bugger.

.... I know flyback, ultor, and 47 other dangerous words.