Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default semi synthetic V mineral oil ...

In article , The Natural Philosopher
On 2015-06-07, Jim at the Common Riding
wrote:

On 2015-06-07, Jim at the Common Riding
wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:24:44 +0100, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:

what are the real world problems on switching between the
recommended 5w 30 synth blend oil and 10w 40 mineral oil in a
car? I want to use up a load of 10w 40 mineral oil in it. What is
likely to go?...Bearing in mind it will only be used for six
months in the summer.
Depends on the engine.

Viscosity-wise, some - especially those that require thin oils
like 5w30 - can have all sorts of problems if used with thicker
oil.

Base-stock-wise, again depending on the engine, there shouldn't be
any great difference between mineral and semi-synth, except you'll
want to change it more quickly. If it's a turbo, though, I really
wouldn't - the heat of the turbo may very well cause it to
carbonise in relatively short order.

For the price of even five litres of mineral (so cheap) oil, why
risk it? Just chuck it on freecycle or in the lawnmower or even
take it down the tip.
but I have 50L of it !!!

the engine is a 3.8 V6 ford essex (canada) manufactured 1995 and
is prown to head gasket failure ...... Perhaps I shouldn't risk it
then...ta

The Ford 'Essex' is a dark ages technology engine, and I'm amazed
anyone thinks it needs synthetic oil.

5w-30 became the recommended for *all* Ford & subsidiary (Jag/LR etc)
engines in the 90s in the wake of sticky lifters (or something) on
the Zetec engines. As you say I bet the 3.8 was designed for
mineral/semi-synth 10w-40 rather than fully synth anyway. Certainly
can't see it being phased by it.

Scott

very reassuring...thanks...yes it has two camshafts in the block.

Err, no. The Essex is a single camshaft, pushrod engine. I can't
remember what oil I put in a my Mk1 Capri 3000S (too long ago), but it
won't have been synthetic, partly because I suspect it wasn't available
& partly because I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

The Essex was produced in many guises some of which were overhead cam -
mainly for performance cars.

Essex was really the name of that particular block - a V6 block
originally, then a V4 in some guises.

a good intro to ford production engines is here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_engines

The notorious OHC camshaft breaker was the pinto engine.

I ran my Cortina III GT (pinto engine) for over 100,000 miles. Camshaft
never broke although the cam belt failed once.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18