Ratch

Default Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

"William Hayes" wrote in message

"Ratch" wrote in message
et...

Your link gives two definitions of Ohm's law. The first is the one you
refer to above, in that R=resistivity*length/area. It is a resistance
formula for a conductor with known physical dimensions and resistivity,

but
it is not Ohm's law. .

Dead Banana. ( beating a dead horse dry )

??? I have not idea what you mean by the above.

After all, you are calling "the" English [ liars. ]

Who are these "English" people you refer to? A lie is a willful statement
contrary to what one knows to be true. I never called anyone a liar here.
Mistaken perhaps, but not a liar.

They coined Potential of Current to Flow = current * resistively of
length/area while Temperature is constant as Ohm's Law.
E = I * R
Voltage = Current * Resistance

What is "Potential of Current to Flow"? Current exists, it does not
flow. Charge flows.

"The" English named it after George Ohm.

I know that the MKS unit of resistance was name after George. And George
stated that for some materials, the current is
proportionate to the voltage. I don't know who named that material property
after him, do you?

What part did you fail to grasp ?

Whatever you are talking about above.

The cross section of the conductor has no bearing whatsoever on whether a

material is ohmic or not.

So a Cross Sectional Area of a 00awg Cable has the same ohmic value at
20,000 feet as a 24awg cable at 20,000 feet ?
Surely I'm missing your point.

Yes, you certainly are. I am saying that whatever shape the material is
does not affect whether it is ohmic or not. I never said that same length
cables with different diameters made out of the same material will not have
different resistance values.

If you have a conductor made out of a certain material, you can plot the

vs I curve.

Using what gauge of certain material ?
Using what Temperature Conditions ??

Doesn't matter. No matter what the shape of the conductor, a V vs I
curve can be plotted.

Ever seen a P4 Processor smoke when a fan is not applied to it after a few
minutes of run time ??

Nope, why should that matter?

If the curve is straight, it is ohmic regardless what the physical

dimensions are--even if the cross section varies from point to point.

If the curve is straight, even if the curve is straight.
This means your processor can not function. It is breaking your Ohm's

Law.

Don't let your mind wander. We are talking about Ohm's law applied to
solids, not to computers.

If you understand that resistive linearity property of the material,

then
you know Ohm's law

I understand the resistive linearity of certain materials that conduct
electrons verses certain materials that do not conduct electronics and

each
has a chart that relies heavily on the Gauge of the material and
Temperature.

The resistive linearity is a property of the material that relies on no
chart whatsoever.

If you have a conductor made out of a certain material, you can plot the

vs I curve.

I have a conductor made of air, using 240,012 volts of potential energy
flow, you claim I can determine the plot of Voltage verses Current.

Without
having to know the gauge of the air or temperature and why either has an
effect on the current flowing between the potential energy flows.

Benjamin
Franklin wrote several papers regarding such flows. You'll find them
interesting.

A volt is not a unit of potential energy per se. Remember charge flows,
current doesn't, current just exists. Anyway,
sure you can measure the voltage and current of an arc with the right
equipment and safety precautions. What does does
gauge and air temperature have to do with that? Ratch