Franc Zabkar

Default Another twist in the topic (Was Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:50:43 +1000, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:12:20 -0700, Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In article PT1Sa.94662$N7.11173@sccrnsc03,
mentioned...

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message

[snip]

In any case, this relation has been called Ohm's law for so long, that
regardless of its origin, it *is* Ohm's law. To try and change the
common usage at this late date would just needlessly confuse the issue.

This is sort of like the SI prefix Giga. The standards publications
of NBS (now the NIST), U.S. Navy, ASME (American Society of Mechanical
Eng'rs), and others all show the pronunciation as Jiga, but people
have been mispronouncing it for so long that all hope is lost of ever
going back to the original.

I would think the most sensible pronunciation would be "giga" as this
prefix is derived from the Greek word, "gigas", meaning "giant".

The most mispronounced metric measure, IMO, is kilometre. The correct
pronunciation is kill-oh-meeter,

Or "ki-low-mee-ter".

... not ki-lometter, if you know what I
mean.

And then there's the mess NIST and the international standards bodies
got us into regarding the binary prefixes (see the last two lines of
my .sig below for the URL). I've yet to hear anyone use those in a
conversation, or even in print. Just remember that 1024 kilobytes is
_not_ called a megabyte anymore!

- Franc Zabkar

- Franc Zabkar