Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon263 Simon263 is offline

Default OT Windows 10

"J.B.Treadstone" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:05:22 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

On 01/06/2015 12:27, Jethro_uk wrote:

Given MS declaration a while back that this will be the last ever
release of Windows, I'd be expecting a subscription model to kick in
once the year is up ....

Indeed. I thought I'd seen somewhere that Microsoft is planning that you
never "own" Windows10, you just rent it.

A moot point (perhaps) but Windows users never *did* own their copy of
Windows installed on their computers.

So those taking advantage of the current free upgrade might find that
after the initial free year, they are forced to pay annually to keep it
going. I'd read the small print vary carefully - though software
providers get their lawyers to write hundreds of long boring paragraphs
of the stuff, just so it's hard to find the important details.

The ultimate goal of MS is that a Windows user will just have a basic copy
of Windows on a machine, & everything else will be on a MS Cloud. This was
"leaked" some time ago, by a person who had access to MS insiders & who
published it anonymously on his website. This person had been right
about his previous "predictions" about what MS was up to.
The website disappeared about about 18 months, or two years ago, & has
never come back. (This was reported in The Register too). It is then very
likely, as you say, that Windows users could be made to pay annually to
have access to their data.

Odd that MS has a completely free cloud and while ever their competitors
have their own, they won't be able to charge everyone to use theirs.

In fact they have just recently added completely free versions of word
and excel to Apple's iOS which doesn˙t cost anyone a penny to upgrade
and with their main cloud competitors like dropbox too.