Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.mobile.android
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Micro SD Card failure modes - WAS: 'Seeing' Android phone fromWindows PC

On 31/05/2015 23:41, Roger Mills wrote:
On 31/05/2015 22:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

It's a 16GB Class-10 card, but only just over 1GB is actually used.

Is it possible it's one of those counterfeit cards that only have e.g.
1GB of actual flash, but have been doctored to indicate having many
times more than that? Problems generally show up once you copy more than
the true capacity onto them ...

Unlikely. The card was actually supplied with a dash cam - and has had
16GB of data on it. But it became spare when I bought a 32GB card for
the cam - so I re-formatted it and used it in the phone. It's been ok in
the phone for quite a few months - until now!

Now, it won't let me re-format it - so something has gone awry.

They do fail from time to time, I have two dead ones, one old 1G card
that just doesn't appear when you plug it in and a 16G one that I can't
write to any more but I think it has been physically damaged as it looks
like some of the plastic is missing around the connectors but I don't
have another card of the same sort to compare it to.