View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
JAW

Default Foundation woes.... continued...

From my experience with contractors, as a homeowner, city assistant engineer, and roadway inspector.

Before work is to begin for the day, or week, make sure you review the specifics of the block of work with the
contractor. A professional will appreciate your concern with the project and the reinforcement that the both of you are
on the same page. I think we ALL do this when the SWMBO is involved, right ? We always double check, why is this not
different. Once you both understand what is going on, get out of their way, if they make a mistake, point it out and
reinforce the idea that this was discussed and agreed upon before work began. Having the wife or another party around
when the specifics we agreed upon helps. This quitely reinforces to the contractor that you mean business and that it
will not be just your word against theirs. You do not have to be confrontational (sp?) just reasonable.

If a respected contractor or contractors do not call you back, it means they are too busy. Period. I went through this
about 7 years ago when I wanted to replace about 900 sf of sidewalk. I could not get anyone to call me back or come out
and give me a price. I put the project on hold for about 5 years. Two years ago I contacted 5 contractors, I ended up
with 5 bids (One did not bid the job, but I got one to come to the door, hearing that I was requesting bids). If a
contractor is too busy, then ask them to recommend someone that might not be as busy. If once again, they are a good
business person, and know they are too busy to bid your work, then they will be more than glad to help you out.

References. Nuf said. Review their work at other locations. A couple of hours of investigation could well keep you out
of court.

Maybe rescheduling the work for another time will get you the contractor you want and at a reasonable price. If it is
indoor work, and the contractors are busier outside during the summer, then schedule the indoor work during the cold
months (if you live in a area that has cold weather). They are probably slower at that time of the year and appreciate
the opportunity to keep busy (and have money rolling in). The lesson here is to not be in too big of a hurry to get the
work done. Haste makes waste ! You do not HAVE to have the kithcen remodeled this month, just wait a month or two. Last
summer I wanted to build a driveway and pond at our country lot. The two contractors I really wanted were busy. I
scheduled time to review the plans and walk the site last fall when both were not busy. I got prices from both of them
this spring and chosse one of them. The work has not begun yet, but will in about 2 weeks. At the time I really wanted
to get this work done last year. I stress that I did not HAVE to have this work done, I WANTED it done.

HTH
JAW

John Moorhead wrote:
Folks -

Well, I am back at it with the foundation layout and cutting of the
footings. Wif and I restrung the foundation lines and make our cut lines
for the backhoe guy again... He wanted the line 3" OUTSIDE of where the cut
was to be.... So he showed up this morning and got started. Lo and behold -
he didn't make his cut 3" inside the chalkline, he SPLIT the chalkline and
dug 30" deep instead of 20". Goddamn it! I needed a trench 1 foot wide,
now the trenches vary between 18" and a bit over 24". So now I'll end up A)
buying appx 1 acre more fill sand than I was planning; or B) renting a
compactor and tamping the soil to get my depth right, building my forms, and
backfilling the sides and compacting that; or C) Both.

I perhaps should have gotten some other backhoe service, but this was the
only guy to return repeated calls. Sometimes I just *ucking ***HATE***
contractors. Nothing personal, to those of you who are, I was just hoping
to at least have the footings dug out before someone ****ed me off....

John