Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OT Windows 10

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 03:27:58 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

My PC, running Windows 7, suddenly is offering me a free upgrade to
Windows 10 when it comes out. I understand from Googling it, they are
trying to get over the bad publicity with Windows 8.

I know it's not released yet but does anyone have any views on it. I
like Windows 7 and don't want to change to something I will hate. But it
might keep my PC going longer.

My other concern is whether my hardware will be up to running it.

Thanks

Jonathan

Given MS declaration a while back that this will be the last ever release
of Windows, I'd be expecting a subscription model to kick in once the
year is up ....

I've seen nothing that really points to this, but.......

What is worrying is the apparently enforced updates, which have included
updates to drivers etc. As Microsoft, at an earlier stage of the beta,
managed to make a whole bunch of testers, including me, think their hard
drives had died, I don't have much confidence in this.

On the other questions, I'm testing on a few dual-core Intel machines,
some quite old (1.6GHz), and have had no problems caused by the computer
hardware. I have a few usb and firewire audio interfaces that worked in
W8.1 and 7, but don't (yet?) work in 10.

What isn't clear is whether, if you take a complete image of the Windows
7 machine, "upgrade" to W10 and don't like it and so re-install the W7,
the W7 will come back as activated or not. The fact that MS has put an
update to W10 icon on the system tray (via one of the recent updates)
suggests that they might want more control over activation etc. in the
future.

I have just been doing quite a bit of work trying to teach myself some
new programming skills and have been using a W7 and W10 machine side by
side. At first, I found little difference, but as the W10 builds
progressed, I have liked it less. The crunch was when I wanted to do a
lot of command line programming and needed different programs to be
accessed quickly. The new start menu has scroll bars that are close to
invisible and other programs have scroll bars that disappear from under
the cursor (I think as in IE in W7) and it became extremely frustrating.
There also is the issue of "monetising the desktop" and the pressure to
run under a Microsoft account login.

For my use, Linux is too limiting, and I'd use W10 in preference, but I
think, on the current showing, I'll stick to W7.
--
Bill