Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.mobile.android

Default Micro SD Card failure modes - WAS: 'Seeing' Android phone from WindowsPC

[This thread was originally only in uk.d-i-y but I'm x-posting it to
comp.mobile.android since that is probably more relevant.]

Following advice given here to enable ES File Explorer's Remote Manager
function, I managed to use an FTP application running on my W7 computer
to do two-way file transfers between the computer and my Android 5 Moto
G phone - including accessing data stored on a micro-SD card inside the
phone.

It's probably a pure coincidence but - the very next day after I got
this working - I got an error message on the phone complaining that the
SD card had been "removed unexpectedly" - which of course it hadn't!

According to Google, this is not an uncommon occurrence and is sometimes
caused by some sort of incompatibility between phone and SD card.
However, in my case, the card really seems to be screwed!

It's a 16GB Class-10 card, but only just over 1GB is actually used. This
includes some photos and audio files - for which I have backups - but it
also includes a number of Apps which have been been moved to the card
and some off-line map files for the Here mapping/navigation App. I have
turned the phone off several times and removed and re-seated the SD card
- after which it appears to work for a very short time, but then the
error message reappears. Needless to say, if the phone can't access the
card, the on-card Apps no longer work!

The card is now removed from the phone, and I have a new one on order.
When I put the card into a micro-SD to SD adapter and plug that into the
card reader slot of one of my PCs, the PC recognises the presence of the
card, but goes unresponsive if I try to access any of the files. I've
had slightly more success with another PC and have - I think - made a
backup of everything on the card. But that took over 24 hours!!! to copy
1GB of data. What the hell was it doing all that time?

Having (I hope) got the data off, I've tried several times to re-format
the card - but it just sits there like a lemon saying "0 percent
completed".

I'm hoping that when the new card comes, I'll be able to restore all the
files to it, put it into the phone and everything will work as before.
Is this wishful thinking?

Does anyone have any insight as to what can happen to a micro-SD card
such that it can only be read incredibly slowly, seemingly cannot be
written to at all (and, no, it's not write protected) and makes a phone
think that it's been removed when it hasn't?

Is there any possibility that using FTP between computer and phone could
have damaged the card in some way? [I've had a smaller capacity card in
the phone for a couple of days as a temporary measure, and that seems
happy enough with the FTP process].

Informed comments please!
--
Cheers,