jim rozen

Default Water Well Drilling Accidents or near misses

In article , SteveF says...

I used to work for an insurance claims adjusting firm and I think among my
all-time favorites was the home owner whose three year old thought the
ceiling fan blades going around was fascinating. So the guy holds the kid
up over his head who promptly holds his hand up and gets it broken when the
next blade comes around. Filed a lawsuit, our insured had us settle to make
them go away. Exactly where was the "cheapness, stupidity or arrogance" of
the ceiling fan manufacturer?

Blame the lawyers - they made a decision that it would cost less
to settle (odd that you don't mention the amount) the case than
to take it to trial. Sure a jury would laugh at the case, but
then there's a one prercent chance they would award something.

They might award $100K, and it might cost $10K to bring the
case to trial for an exoneration. So why not offer the 10
up front, says the lawyers. Your company said 'settle' I
suspect - after a bit of prodding from the insurance company.

If you want to 'fix' this (is it really broken??) then
first off you shoot all the lawyers. Then you shoot all the
insurance company execs (why spread risk? - if you find the at-fault
person, you pin it on them) and then you abolish the court
system.

Just remember though, you need consider the case where a
company really is negligent. So we make the CEO of the
corporation PERSONALLY LIABLE - remember, no insurance,
right? - for any damages. Pierce the corporate veil and
let folks who are really harmed recover from the individuals
concerned.

While we're shooting folks, we take the CEOs and CFOs out
and do the same to them as the lawyers, if they can't
pay out when they do wrong. Fair's fair here.

You'll see the company execs whining and blubbering for
their insurance safty net after all. But ONLY if it
benefits them.

Jim

please reply to: