Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default on end

Brian-Gaff wrote

No, in the case of a shaver, one can lay the whole thing on its side, at
least you could if it had a flat side. Toothbrushes and phones could be
made the same way.

Phones are.

In any case the gravity held chargers are notoriously intermittent as you
get some corrosion on the contacts.

Hasn’t happened with my Panasonic cordless phones.

Far better y to use a proper plug and socket like Remminton seem to do,

Not with something that is used daily.

which is why I'm very surprised they do not have a flat on one side as
well as the base.

You don’t need one when it drops into the charger.

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:

Butsome things are inherently unbalanced. Electric shavers are the worst
for this.
If you need to use them on the face, then they need to be balanced in
the hand, but to charge, they often come with a charger that has a small
footprint, and the shaver then stands on end, but is easily knocked over
as its centre of gravity is now high.

The same problem seems to occur with other rechargeable items like
portable phones and electric toothbrushes. I simply do not understand
why they cannot just admit that it needs to have its centre of gravity
in one place for use, and build the chargers to keep it horizontal so it
cannot be knocked over.

Interesting idea. I guess in general for sighted people you can guide
the toothbrush over the charger spigot and then gravity keeps it there.
Also the footprint is then low - I imagine that's why toothpaste tubes
can stand on end these days.

If you want to keep it horizontal, do you still have the charger spigot
entering the end, which presumably means designing thew cradle so the
toothbrush snaps in, or do you want the charger spigot entering the
side? It sort of seems to me either of those might be harder for a
blind person to manage.

--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!