Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Flashing bathroom light - whilst switched off!

On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:06:15 +0100
GB wrote:

Flashing bathroom light - whilst switched off!

This is 2 yrs after a complete rebuild. Recently, the bathroom light
has started to flash whilst switched off. It flashes very briefly
once or twice a second. It's a fluorescent 2D fitting, two wires, no
earth.

I suspect one of three reasons:
a) Problem with the switch that allows a small amount of current
through. Seems unlikely. The switch looks fine, and the light
switches on and off okay.
b) Water ingress into the fitting. But this looks fine. No sign of
water damage. And, in any case, it's switched off, so it should have
no live feed. (Yes, I know that live and neutral sometimes get
muddled up, but even so where's current going to without an earth?)
c) Water ingress into the wiring somewhere where I can't see it. This
is in a flat, so $deity knows what the person in the flat upstairs
lets overflow.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's a poltergeist. My mother-in-law had one, it would randomly turn
her bedroom light on at night. It never harmed her.

--
Davey.