Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Seeing' Android phone from Windows PC

On 28/05/15 15:59, News wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes

I think he's got that working, and it makes sense for the phone *NOT*
to be a server, sucking up battery power just in case someone wants to
access it, far more sense to have the PC with its mains power be the
server, ready for the occasion when then phone wants to access it, you
can pull or push files using the phone after all ...

Thanks all. I have reached the same conclusion. I don't *need* it to
work without cable - just trying to prove a point to smartarse son :-)

He'll be impressed that I've managed to download an app AND get it
working so I can see the Netbook from the phone wirelessly.

Talking wireless and cable works, why are all these USB cables
different? WTF haven't the mini plugs been standardised yet? Half a
century ago, connecting a tape recorder to a record player was a
nightmare with any combination of jack plugs, DIN, banana and phono to
choose. Nothing has changed in fifty years.

At least they all used 1V PP - so a Samsung Galaxy S5 will happy drive
the line in to a valve amplifier made in 1950 (as long as you have a
3.5mm to phono or whatever lead). Suck that Apple!

But yes, I don't like the micro USB. Mini was OK, micro is too flimsy
for little gain. And the Franken-connector new version is horrid - but
sadly micro was too ambitious and could not carry the high charging
currents of some modern phones hence the upgrade.

I wonder if they had just stuck with the mini USB...