Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - the evolving English language

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 20:40:36 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2015 14:30:19 +0100, "gareth"
wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
.. .

When I was a lad there was no such thing as a train station; there was
only the station.

Except where I grew up in Portishead, there were the radio, power, fire,
police, ambulance and railway stations, together with the remains of the
WC&P railway station.

Yes indeed, but I doubt you would ever have said "have to be at the
railway station by 7am".

Let alone "have to be at the train station at 7am", as train stations
were only called that after American TV shows were absorbed into the
common consciousness.

Do you have any prrof of that as it seems unlikely.

The world's first recorded railway station was The Mount on the Oystermouth Railway (later to be known as the Swansea and Mumbles) in Swansea, Wales,[2] which began passenger service in 1807.[3].

This was long before TV.