Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Seeing' Android phone from Windows PC

On 28/05/15 10:16, News wrote:

Having adopted my son's Samsung phone,

OK - first mistake!

You are supposed to get the best on contract yourself and 2 years later,
pass it onto him as a cast off!

;-

I'm having a play. This is my
first android type phone (I thought my last mobile was sophisticated
because it took photos as well as made phone calls), which is now
connected to the home network. Phone is running Android 4.4.4 The
phone is S3, I think.

Good - the S3 is still perfectly serviceable.

Having installed ES File Explorer on the phone, I can see shared files
on my Netbook, using the phone. What I can't see is the phone from the
Netbook. Should I be able to? I perhaps naively assumed the phone
would appear on the Netbook (W98), but there must be a setting I am
missing within the phone. Whatever it is, I can't find. Any clues?

Stick an SSH server on the phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.sshserver

and use SFTP from the netbook (using typically WinSCP as you said
Windows, or Cyberduck from a Mac).

You need to choose an ssh port number on the phone (22 is not permitted
unless you root the phone, pick a random memorable number =1024 and =65535

Note the phones IP on the network (system settings/About Device/Status)
or install a "widget" app that tells you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hiess.ipwidget

Set up a user and password in the SSH app.

Connect to WIFI (as most cell operators block incoming IP connections)

Use WinSCP to connect to the IP above using the port and user and
password you setup.

Hey presto, GUI explore type access to your phone's filesystem.

It is a lot less hassle once you have the apps installed an dthe basic
setup done.

The other option is AirDroid.