Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default OT. EUSSR Brexit.

On Tue, 26 May 2015 23:21:32 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

Who is discussing leaving the Council of Europe?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...chael-gove-to-

proceed-with-tories-plans-to-scrap-human-rights-act

I think I'll file that under I'll believe it if I see it. Lots of coulds
and maybes and, of course, a government with a small majority can avoid
having to try to totally overhaul our, admittedly unwritten,
constitution by ensuring that the Bill of Rights is something that
Strasbourg can agree to.

Even if the Gov't do manage to win a vote on repealing the HRA, it
doesn't mean we're not still bound by the ECHR. It would require
repealing the HRA, leaving the EU (which requires all members to be
signatories to and bound by the ECHR), leaving the Council of Europe
(which we were a founder member of) AND repealing our original signature
to the convention we were primarily responsible for founding and writing.

Nah. Ain't. Going. To. Happen.

The really bizarre thing is that the HRA just allows UK judges in UK
courts to enforce breaches of the convention - the same UK judges in UK
courts who, presumably, would be enforcing breaches of this new bill of
rights...?