Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - the evolving English language

On Sunday, 24 May 2015 16:43:26 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
When did English become a totally logical language - and one where all
the rules of grammar and pronunciation are always obeyed?

As 'station' comes from yer Latin, (sto, stare, steti, statum - 'to
stand'), does this mean that shouldn't expect to find any chairs at a
police station?

During an office move some years ago, I found myself sending out an
email asking "Does anyone know where the stationary cupboard moved to?"

I had an occasion when I had to ask "whose taken the loan book".

The loan book being the place where we record who has borrowed stuff.