Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - the evolving English language

On Sunday, 24 May 2015 13:46:42 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
"DJC" wrote in message ...
On 21/05/15 12:59, Phil L wrote:

I think 'train station' is a corrrect terminology, that is, it's a
station
where trains are accessed, like a police station is where the police can
be
contacted. 'Railway' is irrelevant because you can't access a railway
without a train

No, a station is a stopping point on a journey eg 'Stations of the Cross'.

Are you sure? - what does police station mean then? - I assumed that it was
where police officers were stationed, likewise fire station, not for fires,
but for firefighters.
Trains are based at a station until they begin their journey, using a
railway.

But why can't a train station be somewhere you start to train ;-)
(without moving obviously)

Calling it a railway station is like calling a police station a 'beat
station' - it's where policemen are when they aren't on the beat