Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default cutting wires

In message , Des
writes

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 26/05/2015 10:43, Des wrote:
how come when I cut through my wiring going to my 13a sockets all the
sockets are still live?

Are you serious, or this a wind-up? What did you expect?

I expected the ones furthest away from where the lecy comes in to the house
to go off.

As someone else said, in the UK, sockets are generally wired in a ring -
and have a pair of cables supplying them so to isolate the socket you
need to disconnect both cables.

Have a look at the wiki for starters :
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Ring_circuit.

It's important as was suggested, that you understand the basics of this
before working on the system. and understand other arrangements of
socket wiring you might come across.

Why were you cutting the cable? What are you wanting to achieve? If you
are cutting the cable to remove a socket you need to remake the ring.
--
Chris French