Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT - the evolving English language

In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 May 2015 15:11:00 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

When I were a lad, no one would have dreamt of using 'train station'
(although you would occasionally see a some signs saying 'To The
'Trains'). It seems as if I woke up one morning, and found that
everyone was using it. I suppose it's an American import - but even
so, 'railway station' is not totally unknown over there.

One American who used it in a well known song was Paul Simon of the
duo Simon and Garfunkel who wrote the Song" Homeward Bound" in which
it appears, allegedly he came up with it while waiting for a train on
Widnes Railway station during the period he worked in the UK during a
depressed moment. I suppose being in Widnes in the early 60's could
have that effect. Whatever they also used Railway Station in the Song
the "The Boxer" on the Bridge over Troubled Waters Album which was
written later when in the US.

We have probably gone past the point of no return for the use of Train
Station on this side of the pond. In one part of the British Isles
the Railway themselves now uses it.

http://www.designid.co.uk/index.php/...train-station/

I think 'train station' is a corrrect terminology, that is, it's a
station where trains are accessed, like a police station is where the
police can be contacted.

I'm really not interested in your analysis. We always called them railway
stations, everyone knew what was meant and that is all that matters. No
need to change it at all.

and - if they weren't railway stations you couldn't have the conundrum:

(Needs to be said out loud)

If you can weigh a whale at a whaleway station - where do you weigh a pie?

and the answer is;

Somewhere over the rainbow.

--
From KT24 in Surrey