Ian Stirling

Default Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

In sci.electronics.misc Lizard Blizzard wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
In sci.electronics.misc Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...

In sci.electronics.misc Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' wrote:

I got tired of switching the leads of my DMM. Suddenly if dawned on
me that I can just set the power supply to 10.0V for exaample, and
read the current, and then divide the voltage by the current to find
the resistance. Like I put a resistance on the PS, it reads 10.0V and
the current is .018A, so 10 / .018 gives 555.6 ohms. Must be a 560
ohm resistor.

I turned my PS into an ohmmeter - FREE!

Hee-hee - Work smarter, not harder!

Of course, make sure the current stays low so the resistance doesn't
overheat. For low resistances use a volt or less.

This isn't especially usefull usually.
However, with low ohm resistors, it can be.

Given a constant current of an amp, the $5 meters mentioned elsewhere
can now measure with a resolution of .1mohm.

I bought a few of those $5 DMMs from Futurlec a few months ago,
actually I think they were about $6. 9V vattery included(!)

Very handy indeed.
The ones I bought were 3 pounds 99p, ($6us?) I have around 8.
Soon after buying one, I thought I'd discovered that they have an
overvoltage LED.
However, the smell of burning FR4 soon made me realise otherwise.

But, But.. Doesn't the FR in FR4 mean flame resistant? If so, how
could it burn? Char?

Hmm, probably, yes.
It went out when the source of 2000V (at moderate current) was turned off.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept that I cannot change, the