Chuck Harris

Default Turn Your Power Supply into an Ohmmeter - It's Free!

Hi Ratch,

It is not as simple as all that. E = Ri has been called "Ohm's" law for
as far back as my reference library goes, which is 1907. I cannot
verify, but I would presume that the origin of the the alleged misuse
goes even further back.

In any case, this relation has been called Ohm's law for so long, that
regardless of its origin, it *is* Ohm's law. To try and change the
common usage at this late date would just needlessly confuse the issue.

As a possible explanation for the term Ohm's law, consider that the unit
of resistivity has been called the ohm, as a tribute to Georges Ohm.

The equation that describes the relationship of resistance, voltage,
and current would naturally be called the law of resistance, or the
law of the ohm. It wouldn't take much to morph that to ohm's law.

-Chuck, WA3UQV

Good. You finally gave a valid reason for your gripe and did not deny
my "factoid". I can understand and appreciate your concern and irritation.
However, these threads are not just read and appreciated by you , I, and a
select few. There are plenty of lurkers who don't mind learning something,
and inserting ancillary facts into a discussion is not beyond what is
normally done here. Look at how some of the other threads have morphed.
Anyway, I don't think I was out of line in pointing out that Ohm's law is
usually used as a misnomer. The choice to keep on doing so is up to the
individual. Ratch