Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default OT - the evolving English language

gareth wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
gareth wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
I think 'train station' is a corrrect terminology, that is, it's a
station
where trains are accessed, like a police station is where the police can
be contacted. 'Railway' is irrelevant because you can't access a railway
without a train

And, indeed, the railway itself is stationary wherever you encounter it.

Unless it's on a ferry, of course.

But there would be only rails on a ferry, and not a way; by the same token,
a tarmacced car parking space is not a road.

Nice nitpick! But my dictionary doesn't support it: "any set of rails
intended to facilitate the motion of wheels".

I wonder, do any rail ferries (or barges) load and unload from opposite
ends? If so, the rails would definitely qualify as a "way".

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England