Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default OT - the evolving English language

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , DJC writes

Bring back *Railway* Stations!

+1!!!

However, if you can have coach/bus stations, I suppose there is some
justification for 'train station'.

That there may be "justification" is a matter of complete indifference
to me. I'm with DJC.

Well, so am I - hence my '+1'.

When I were a lad, no one would have dreamt of using 'train station'
(although you would occasionally see a some signs saying 'To The
'Trains'). It seems as if I woke up one morning, and found that everyone
was using it. I suppose it's an American import - but even so, 'railway
station' is not totally unknown over there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0UdkKH-0Es
(at 1:22).
--
Ian