Mark D. Zacharias

Default Yamaha receiver / Proscan TV problem after lighting storm ***

You won't be able to fix the Yamaha yourself - even many servicers have a
learning curve on these. Time to get it to an authorized servicer.

Mark Z.

"Foo Man Choo SE" wrote in message
om...
Following a lightning storm, my Yamaha RXV995 receiver doesn't stay
powered on. When powered on, it turns off after a second or so.
Apparently its overload protection mechanism is being triggered. What
can I look for or try before taking it to the service center?

The same storm also affected the sound on my Proscan 36" television.
Although the picture is fine, the sound is now scratchy and sounds
like a cheap radio's speakers. I suppose I can always connect
external speakers, assuming the noise is not being introduced before
this point.

As an aside, this is the second time in the last month that we have
had damage following a storm. The list of damaged items also
includes: an oven, burners on gas range, A/C unit, 3 PC's and various
low voltage power supplies. The PC's and power supplies were all
connected via surge suppressors. I realize that such surge
suppressors are basically useless with nearby lightning strikes. I am
strongly thinking about getting some sort of whole house surge
suppression system which can shunt the power to ground at the main
power connection. Anyone with experience with such systems?

--Rob