waxhead

Default Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter.......

Further, the impedence will vary across the frequency range of the
speaker. The quoted impedence is a nominal impedence. An 8ohm (nominal
impedence) speaker can quite easily have a coil resistance as low as
6.0ohm.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:13:42 +1000, Verdons wrote:

You are correct

"Denny B" wrote in message
Is it possible to measure Impedance with an ohm meter. For example can
you measure the Impedance of a 4 ohm car speaker with an ohm meter?

When I tell people they cannot measure Impedance with an ohm meter, you
need an impedance meter and the impedance must be measured with the
speaker in operation, with a signal generator supplying a fixed
frequency, this always leads to disagreements with the person who
demands an ohm meter to measure what he calls Impedance, when I tell
him an ohm meter can only measure the resistance of the coil there is
always disagreement.

I tell them Impedance is AC resistance and what they measure with an
ohm meter is DC resistance. Disagreement here again.

Will somebody take me up on this and clarify the situation.

Thanks in advance
Denny B