Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT End of the world is nigh!

On Monday, 11 May 2015 16:04:04 UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bod
wrote:

On 11/05/2015 14:35, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 11/05/2015 10:40, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
One possible effect that has been predicted is a shock wave
propagating through the earth and triggering a super volcano on the
opposite side.

Very unlikely to be close to the nuke bunker and even if it
was, the nuke bunker would be a lot better than nothing...

I think you underestimate the power of a super volcano. The expectation
is that, when Yellowstone next erupts, anything with 500 miles will be
destroyed and most, if not all, of the USA would be covered in volcanic
ash as a result. Assuming the bunker was not within the area of the
actual eruption or the magma field, getting out from under hundreds of
feet of ash would pose a significant problem.

Yup, Yellowstone is due at any time from now if the past calcs are correct.

Then there's Betelgeuse due to go supernova. That will ruin the vision
of ****loads of people, because they'll all go look at it. It'll be a
bit brighter than the moon, in luminosity terms, but as a point source,
so will burn scribbly lines all over their retinas.

Can;t believe that, the moon is dark anyway, it's the suns light that makes it look bright and even then it's not that bright. -12 the sun is -26.

and I didn't think Betelgeuse was due for another 100,000 years.