Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Do you English...

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 11/05/2015 08:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Bod" wrote in message

Most fires are internal, where there's combustible material. You
would
have thought a window on an external leaf would be better?

Inner leaf windows have been standard for this
reason for a very long time. Outer leaf windows tend to be found
on
very old houses that predate this.

I haven't seen a house with a window on the inner leaf for a long
time.
They generally have wide inner sills and adorn ornaments and the
like.

Are you sure you're talking of the UK?

He's talking drivel.
Windows are to keep the weather out, as is the outer leaf.
Hence the window has to be linked/continuous with to the outer
leaf.

Plastic windows are a fire hazard.
The plastic gives off highly toxic fumes in a fire.

Are all of your window frames wooden or Crittal steel then?

mine a quality NorDan windows fitted behind the vertical dpc of the
cavity
closure rebate .....

So they are plastic then, unless you have the aluminium cladding?

no...timber

and if you have a concrete boot lintel (with a normal lintel in the
outside
leaf) with a dpm over the boot lintel coming out in line with the cavity
closure dpc ...if you fit your window in the outside leaf you may have
water
appearing inside the house above the window.....

Not if done properly:

http://www.manthorpe.co.uk/Building/...ay-System.html

I think have only come across cheapskate builders flouting regulations.

yes but in older houses as I described you can land youself in trouble

This house built in 1990 does not have a cavity tray above the original
protruding porch and wc which faces SW into the prevailing wind ...just a
lead flashing raggled in ....I thought the ceiling looked damaged when we
moved in in '96 and yes water ****ed in onto the ceiling the first winter we
were here...Used Thompson's silicon seal on the brickwork above the raggle
....lasted about seven years before I had to re-do it....about time I did it
again now ....I blame English facing bricks...in the past scottish houses
were harled to keep out the witter .....