Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT End of the world is nigh!

On 11/05/2015 08:47, Dennis@home wrote:
On 11/05/2015 08:15, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Myself, I'd trust the nukes, after all, better to have a load of small
radioactive rocks than one bloody great one that could destroy
everything.
brian

The radiation wouldn't be a problem anyway, just how many people have
suffered following the tests that weren't directly exposed?

You wouldn't explode a nuke to shatter it anyway, you want to explode
near it so the heat vaporises some of it and pushes it onto a different
trajectory. If that's done a few weeks/months out you need less energy
and the high level waste will have decayed. You have to remember this
would be the real world and not harry world.

Another option would be to coat one side with white or black dust and
allow the solar wind to deflect it. We've known the trajectory of this
one since 1999, when it came even closer, so it would be a good
candidate for trials. However, at the moment, it is probably best left
alone.

I quite like the long term solution of sending up nuclear powered robots
to mine the asteroid into smaller bits.

--
Colin Bignell