Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Education

On 09/05/15 16:30, Fredxxx wrote:
**** poor is the answer, most kids can't even do simple maths, I'm in a
darts team and virtually no one under 30 can mark the board - they can't
knock 60 off 140 without asking for help, and if a treble seventeen gets
hit, they're ****ed.

With respect, much of the scoring by many is through usage. Perhaps
maths/arithmetic lessons should include darts playing? I suspect H&S
might get in the way, eye protection required, sterilised darts!

A little context:

My mam smoked like a chimney - and I recall back in the late 70's /
early 80's she got a bit incredulous with a teenage shop assistant who
upon selling her 10 packets of fags, reached for their calculator to
work out the price!

It's not a uniquely modern concept.

I also knew a bloke who could to add up in a shop to save his life as he
was putting products in his basket (we were students with limited dosh).

He got a first in pure maths and the uni asked him to stay on for a PhD
- but he declined as he'd worked out being an actuary paid lots