Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

On Fri, 08 May 2015 21:28:35 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 08/05/2015 21:15, Johnny B Good wrote:

====snip====

The only extra complication was the need to connect its ignition unit
the existing FCU serving the cooker hood. As per usual, the supplied
mains cable was about a metre too short but, after verifying the
attached mains flex was nothing special by way of being heat resistant
(a cigarette lighter flame test revealed it to be nothing more than
standard PVC insulated flex), I simply cut a suitable length off a coil
of 10A 3 core flex I'd been keeping in the basement for the past 3
decades or so for such occasions and wired it up with that. :-)

If the cable was heat resistant, it would have had details along its
length as to which BSxxxx it conforms to. In the absence of any
indication, I would tend to assume it was general purpose PVC cable.

Well, the cable didn't have the distinctive feel of a silicone based
insulant and, rather than rely upon labelling alone and ass u m(e) ption,
I figured it was easier to try a "Char & Sniff" test to prove,
definitively, that it was merely standard PVC insulated 10A 3 core
flex. :-)

--
Johnny B Good