Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default OT; Education

His first name & surname were very common English names, so I assume
English is his first language, although I might be wrong.

You can't make that assumption. We've just come back from a month in
China where we had contact with quite a number of guides and drivers who
all, apart from one, had Anglicised names like, for example, 'Tony'. The
same choice is often made over here with it being easier to swap to a
'local' name than to explain/spell the real name.

The same also applies to call centre droids in places like India.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying