Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Water softeners

Well the last time I tried some in a house it had a slight taste of soap to
me. I thought it was just some kind of chemical reaction with a form of
salt.
Incidentally, many people have used the so called electrostatic things tat
claim to soften water. I got the distinct feeling from talking to people is
that all they do is tend to clump limescale in the water together and it ten
coats the pipes faster and that is bout it, its not actually changing the
water.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim+" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote:
The plumber suggests that one should not drink water from an
installed water softener, but that a direct-from-the-mains tap must
be installed to suit the water by-laws.

What's the danger here, when tap water from a soft water area
is so much more potable?

Also, can softened water be used on the garden and to fill the fish pond?

Softened water is for the benefit of you HW system, sinks, taps etc. it's
not designed for your health. Although trying to pin the cause of heart
disease on any one cause is unrealistic, heart disease levels are higher
in
soft water areas.

Tim