Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Water and human proof bell push needed

On Fri, 08 May 2015 11:17:57 +0100, Bod wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151251036496

Thanks for the link, but even that bell push looks like the standard
rubbishy ones (I could well be wrong though).
Have you any experience of this one, by any chance?

Our local library has had one on their back door for several years, and
the bell push isn't protected from the elements. The push did fail
recently but it looked like it had been there for a couple of decades,
so I stuck a new one up. Since then I've installed two more bells for
family members who were fed up with wireless failures. Postmen love
them.
No way of knowing how long a given plastic is likely to survive UV
exposure. Some plant labels disintegrate within months I notice!

The trouble with those cheap bell pushes is the shoddy innards of the
button assembly. Quite often the push would either not ring or it would
get stuck on and continually ringing.

One time (bizarely) the bell push decided to ring constantly of its
own accord and simultaineously set next doors car alarm off.
This was strange because I had not changed the channel on the bell and
next doors car hadn't changed their car alarm.
I've had at least 6 wireless door bells in the last 10 years.
After the last one packed up I'd had enough and have since ordered a
wired one.

I've had the *same* wireless door bell for the past decade (still going
strong) but I have to admit that mounting its bell push on the *inside*
of the front door frame may have had a lot to do with its longevity. :-)

--
Johnny B Good