Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Water softeners

gareth wrote:
The plumber suggests that one should not drink water from an
installed water softener, but that a direct-from-the-mains tap must
be installed to suit the water by-laws.

What's the danger here, when tap water from a soft water area
is so much more potable?

Also, can softened water be used on the garden and to fill the fish pond?

To the best of my knowledge, in a domestic installation, there is only
a suggestion to have a directly fed kitchen tap, not a requirement. I
know people with softeners installed who drink softened water only. They
don't seem to have died yet! I drink it for 4 months a year without
problems, even in tea. Yes, I believe that fish don't like softened
water and it seems to be a waste of money to use it for garden or
outside cleaning purposes