Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

On Thu, 07 May 2015 08:23:11 +0100, cl wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 13:27:06 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Really? So confusing, I spoke to a distributor in Italy who said they

ship to UK all the time. Don't really know who to believe!

Bottled gas is usually Propane, UK natural gas is mainly Methane. They
have differing energy content and require different burners (or burner
nozzles) to be fitted. Most manufacturers can supply bits for either
gas supply as long as you specify it when ordering. Simply saying "UK
use" is inadequate as rural locations in the UK with no natural gas
supply often use Propane.

Our Ilve hob (Britannia in the UK) came with the conversion jets, just a
matter of unscrewing the natural gas ones and screwing in the bottled
gas ones for us.

Our Bosch 4 burner hob came supplied with the NG jets fitted along with
a pack of THREE sets of alternative jets (which I've put 'somewhere safe'
- as per the usual, I've already forgotten, after just a couple of months
or so, where that 'somewhere safe' actually is).

Naturally enough, this being a DIY group, I fitted the hob myself, using
up the very last of my gas ptfe tape transferring the quick connect
flexible hose from the old New World(?) 4 burner hob which had seen
better days (some 12,000 of them in fact) wherein the battery powered
igniter had failed over 11,000 of those days ago.

The only extra complication was the need to connect its ignition unit to
the existing FCU serving the cooker hood. As per usual, the supplied
mains cable was about a metre too short but, after verifying the attached
mains flex was nothing special by way of being heat resistant (a
cigarette lighter flame test revealed it to be nothing more than standard
PVC insulated flex), I simply cut a suitable length off a coil of 10A 3
core flex I'd been keeping in the basement for the past 3 decades or so
for such occasions and wired it up with that. :-)

--
Johnny B Good