Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Water and human proof bell push needed

Brian-Gaff wrote

Decades as long as they are in a porch no out on a front rain lashed front
door, and there are no finger karate experts about.

Decades even when mounted on a rain lashed wall with no porch
at all and which can survive anything any finger can do it it.

This is a DIY group after all.

Rod Speed wrote
"Bod" wrote in message

Most bell pushes seem to still be of this type. I had no idea of
the
stringent needs of a bell push in this environment before, so
wondered if
anyone else had any bright ideas?
Brian

I think it is an inherent property of bell pushes that the fail
quickly. I once built one using an industrial vandal resistant and
water proof push switch, which worked fine for years on machinery. As
a bell push, inside a porch, it stopped working after about two years.

I just don't believe that its not possible to do one that will last for
decades.

I remember that bell pushes used to be very reliable and rarely went
wrong.

Yes.

Todays bell pushes are probably designed with built in obsolescence.

Nope. Its perfectly possible to buy ones that last for decades.