Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Wind turbines a complete waste of money

What about metal rungs going part of the way down (say20ft) and a
little
covered safe area where 2 people can sit and wait for rescue?

Makes more sense to have a fire proof rope and a gadget
that allows a controlled rate of descent on that rope.

Mechanisms can freeze up in icy weather.

In practice that is easily avoided by the mountaineers and riggers.

I still think that the best and safest/cheapest way, is to have metal
rungs so they can quickly climb down a short distance to a small covered
cubby hole where they can clip themselves onto until they are rescued.
They'd be away from the smoke and a small metal cover over their heads
will protect them from any falling bits. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much
to equip all of them like that.
There'd be no mechanisms to possibly fail either.

There are already access ladders and they failed.

I still think one of these would be better
http://www.safelincs.co.uk/davy-desc...d-fire-escape/

If its windy you need a guide wire putting in place before you start
work so you don't blow around into the tower.

Ah! that looks a great idea and so simple. I was envisioning a great
big wind fan type of air brake. That one looks really compact.