Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Wind turbines a complete waste of money

"Bod" wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 07:06, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 22:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 18:49, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 06/05/2015 16:12, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:37:32 UTC+1, Dennis@home wrote:
On 06/05/2015 09:10, Bod wrote:
On 05/05/2015 23:08, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 05/05/2015 18:23, Bod wrote:
On 05/05/2015 18:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
On 05/05/2015 16:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
and dangerous.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWPnpZLiLs

Crikey.

not a nice way to go......

An absailing rope and a point to hook it onto, might be handy
for the
future or even just a rope. At least it would give them a
chance of
descending relatively safely.

A rope might burn through. I think I'd prefer a parachute if the
tower
were high enough.

From my parachuting days, I seem to remember that the minimum
height
for a chute to open is about 500ft and that's assuming that the
chute
opens perfectly, which is not always the case.

You need a rope and an air brake, just attach to harness and
jump, the
rope should survive the few tens of seconds needed.

Its still a bit risky if its windy, then you need the rope to be
attached to the ground.

Would a bungi rope be practical (obviously a slightly advanged
one, in
that it's slowly breaks the fall) If you know the hieght would it be
that difficult to design such a thing ?

We obviously need the HSE to step in and regulate these highly
dangerous
structures.

What about metal rungs going part of the way down (say20ft) and a
little
covered safe area where 2 people can sit and wait for rescue?

Makes more sense to have a fire proof rope and a gadget
that allows a controlled rate of descent on that rope.

Mechanisms can freeze up in icy weather.

In practice that is easily avoided by the mountaineers and riggers.

I still think that the best and safest/cheapest way, is to have metal
rungs so they can quickly climb down a short distance to a small covered
cubby hole where they can clip themselves onto until they are rescued.

No, because there is no guarantee that the main body of the turbine
will be where those in it or on top of it can get to those rungs.

With a fire proof rope, it doesn’t matter where the main body
of the turbine is pointing, it will always be possible to use the
rope and possible to have more than one of them too.

They'd be away from the smoke and a small metal cover over their heads
will protect them from any falling bits.

Sure, but that isn't the problem, the problem is ensuring everyone
who is up there can get onto the rungs in the first place.

I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to equip all of them like that.

Sure, the cost isn't the problem.

There'd be no mechanisms to possibly fail either.

Doesn’t matter if you can't use them because
it isn't possible to get onto the rungs.