Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Help with excel formula

On 06/05/2015 19:00, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 17:31:35 +0100, GB wrote:

On 06/05/2015 16:46, RJH wrote:
On 06/05/2015 16:24, ss wrote:
On 06/05/2015 16:02, JimK wrote:
http://www.excelfunctions.net/Excel-...-Function.html

Thanks Jim although I still cant work it out from that.
I need to add something to my formula so that a blank cell does not
contain an invisible zero which is then picked up and used to count my
averages. Excuse my terminology but not too clever with excel stuff.

You can do a countblank (or 'if ', etc), and simply deduct or add that
to your subtotal. I tend to do this sort of thing using a load of
clumsy equations in brackets. Works best for me as I don't use Excel
that often.

I'm lost, because the OP seems to be making this rather more complicated
than it seems to need to be. What's wrong with a formula like this one,
using the correct function for the job?

=COUNTIF(B1:B19,"0")

Because that simply gives you the number of cells that are 0, rather
than the avereage of the contents of cells that are 0.

But he says "What thats doing for me is giving me the number of cells
that have a number in them". So, I assume he just wants to know the
number of cells? The average can be done with sumif and countif, of course.

It might help if the OP simply says what he wants to achieve?