Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default OT. Generic drug testing.

So its really a call on who inspects the generic output to make sure its the
same as the original one then. That is where the confidence should be.
However it has been known for a long time that noteveryoneone responds to
medication in the same way. If its a very old drug, for example unless the
drug is for a womans complaint, most of its testing was done on males.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Last week I had occasion to look into a new generic drug. What I found was
somewhat horrific. The generics used a sample of twenty people, ten on the
new version and ten on the original. The test lasted a few weeks and the
results showed similar drug blood levels between both groups. The results
stated that no side effects were seen, but that the sample size and
duration was so small that no real results could be given credence. The
drug was approved for the NHS with the caveat that side effects should be
reported. To add to my confidence, the drug was made in India, but the
packaging stated that it was made in the UK! When I think of the lengthy
trials that the original maker had to undertake, I am now very suspicious
of the quality of any generic.

It is of interest to see the efficacy of Sumatriptan (Immigran) generics
reported by various users. Some versions don't work at all and the rest
seem less effective than the branded product. I haven't looked at the
sumatriptan testing, but have my suspicions. The info is available on the
internet if you search the drug approval number printed on the leaflet in
the packet.